Saturday, December 18, 2010

Smoky Chicken Chili

As Christmas gets closer, I find myself getting a little sad. I mean, I love Christmas so much, that I despise the day after. It's the worst feeling in the world. It goes from extreme happiness to extreme sadness. Am I the only one? Is this crazy or what?

On my happier Christmas note, I am ready to make this wonderful recipe for Christmas dinner. I had it at my aunt's house on Thanksgiving and it was absolutely delicous. YUMMMMM...
SMOKY CHICKEN CHILI (recipe from Southern Living)

Pick up smoked chicken from your favorite barbecue restaurant to make this dish, or use a barbecue-flavored rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket.Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 9 cups

Ingredients

  • 2  poblano chile peppers, chopped
  • 1  large red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1  medium-size sweet onion, chopped
  • 3  garlic cloves, minced
  • 2  tablespoons  olive oil
  • 2  (14 1/2-oz.) cans zesty chili-style diced tomatoes
  • 3  cups  shredded or chopped smoked chicken (about 1 lb.)
  • 1  (16-oz.) can navy beans
  • 1  (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1  (12-oz.) can beer*
  • 1  (1.25-oz.) envelope white chicken chili seasoning mix
  • Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges, baby corn, sliced black olives, chopped red onion, tortilla chips

Preparation

1. Sauté first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in diced tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Serve with desired toppings.
*1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Del Monte Diced Tomatoes Zesty Chili Style and McCormick White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment